What is the Blue Badge scheme?
A Blue Badge provides parking concessions for people with disabilities, allowing them (or whoever is driving with them) to park closer to shopping centres and other destinations. You can use the permit in any vehicle, as long as the badge holder is present (whether driving or being driven). It isn’t assigned to a specific vehicle.
The scheme (also known as the European Parking Badge Scheme) was introduced in April 2000 to help people who have severe difficulty walking by improving accessibility. As of March 2017, 2.38m Blue Badges are held in England.
Blue Badge eligibility
You are entitled to receive a Blue Badge if you’re registered as blind or receive any of the following benefits.
- The mobility component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA) at the higher rate (for under 65s).
- Personal Independence Payment (PIP) with a score of 8 or above in the ‘moving around’ section of the assessment (you’ll be asked to provide a duplicate of your entitlement letter with a date within the past 12 months).
- A lump-sum War Pensioners’ Mobility Supplement payment (at tariffs 1 to 8) after being certified as having a serious disability, which means you are unable to, or find it very difficult to, walk.
What if you aren’t automatically eligible?
You may also be eligible for a badge if:
- you have a permanent disability that means you have difficulty walking short distances (around 80 metres)
- you have a permanent disability that prevents you from using parking meters.
If this is the case, you or the person supporting you will need to fill in an extra part of the application form to demonstrate why you need the permit. If possible, get a letter from your GP or consultant as evidence.
Use gov.uk’s Blue Badge eligibility checker to see whether you’ll be able to make an application.
If you have any further questions about eligibility, or you’d like to discuss an application in advance, you can contact your local council.
Read about applying for a Blue Badge in our article.
If you have a Blue Badge we explain some useful things to know about displaying it, where you can park, and what to do ...
Giving up your car keys can feel as though you’re losing your sense of independence, but there are alternative ...
Older people can experience difficulty with driving for many reasons. We offer useful tips for older drivers to be ...